Sunday, March 5, 2017

Supreme Pizza Pasta Casserole

I hit my goals for January and bought the Skinny Mom cookbook.  I made my second recipe out of it tonight.  It turned out great.  So far any recipe I have tried from either the blog or the cookbook have been great. 


Supreme Pizza Pasta Casserole

8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta 
1/2 pound ground beef
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 (8 oz) container baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
1 (23.25 oz) jar Prego Light Smart Traditional Pasta Sauce
1 tsp. Italian seasoning 
1 c. shredded deducted fat mozzarella cheese 
17 slices turkey pepperoni


Bring a large pot of slated water to boil over high heat.  Cook the past to al dente according to the package directions.  Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef until no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes.  Use a wooden spoon to break the beef up as it cooks.  Transfer the beef to a place and drain any excess fat from the skillet.  
Add the olive oil to the skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic, onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms and cook until the vegetables are softened, 4 to 6 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 350º.  Coat a 13x9 inch baking dish or a 14 inch round baking dish with cooking spray. 
Return the cooked ground beef to the skillet and mix with the vegetables.  Reduce the heat to low.  our the pasta sauce into the skillet,  Add the Italian seasoning and mix well.  Stir the cooked pasta into the skillet, making sure to evenly coast the pasta.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.  Top with the mozzarella and pepperoni.  Bake uncovered until he cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.




Since I am allergic to mushrooms I left those out.  And as I don't care for turkey I used regular pepperoni.  This dish turned out great.  I hope it is as good warmed up the rest of the week.  




No comments :

Post a Comment