Saturday, June 7, 2014

Chicken Sausage and Egg Breakfast Cups

I have never been a big breakfast eater but recently have been wanting it most mornings. I have had to stop on the way to work to pick up something. I went looking for something on Pinterest for breakfast items that will freeze well. I found a couple of them but decided to give this one a try first. Following the link from the pin I landed on Organize Yourself Skinny.  






1 pound parsley and cheese chicken sausage or a kind you prefer
12 eggs
1/4 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1/2 c. shredded cheddar 
Cooking spray


Remove chicken sausage from casings.  In a medium pan, cook sausage until no longer pink.  As they cook break sausage up with a spatula into small to medium size pieces.  If needed, drain slightly, and then dived sausage crumbles among 12 muffins tins sprayed with cooking spray.  
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.  Add a little salt and pepper if using.  Divide the egg mixture evenly over the chicken sausage in the 12 muffin cups.  Sprinkle with cheese evenly over muffin cups.
Carefully walk to place the muffin pan into the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes or until cooked completely.  Serve immediately or freeze.




Once they are completely cool they can be wrapped in plastic wrap to be frozen.  When ready warm them up minus the wrap for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.

I could only find Johnsville chicken sausage which I couldn't get out of the casing.  I decided on the Chipotle Monterery Jack sausage.  But went with it anyways.  I also didn't see the temperature to use in the recipe so I went with 350ยบ for 25 minutes.

I had them for lunch a couple times this week and they turned out good.


1 comment :

  1. I've made healthy egg and cheese breakfast cups like this from a recipe in The South Beach Diet cookbook! They are yummy!

    ReplyDelete