Sunday, January 12, 2014

Southwestern Soup

I spent most of Saturday going through my cookbooks looking for a recipe to try this week.   The temp are warmer this week but soup still sounded like a good option.  This one is from Southern Living.





1 pound ground beef
1 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (16 oz) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes and jalapeños, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and mild green chiles, undrained
1 (14 oz) can beef broth
2 c. frozen yellow and white whole kernel corn
1 envelope taco seasonings mix
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
top with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro


Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and onion is softened; drain.
Stir in kidney beans, next 8 ingredients, and 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until thoroughly hated.  Stir in cilantro just before serving.
Serve with desired toppings.





This turned out amazing.  I could only find frozen yellow corn and forgot the fresh cilantro so I used the dry I had on hand.  I topped mine with cheese.  This will go into my list to make and put away every winter.  








2 comments :

  1. I wonder if this would be good if adapted for a crock pot? It sounds like something I would like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Definitely trying this when the temps drop again this week!

    ReplyDelete