Tuesday, August 6, 2013

End of Summer Read

I have been working through my to read list on Goodreads once my summer class was over.  I have had The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin on my list for over a year.  It is based in the 1890s and centers around Cora Cash, the richest little girl of her time.  Her mother is determined to take her to England to find a titled husband at the end of the season in Newport.  While in England they are invited to a country estate to participate in a hunt.  Cora gets separated from the group and ends up getting knocked off of her horse and when she came to Ivo is there and helps her up.  He insists on taking her back to his home and calling the doctor which just happens to be Lulworth as he is the Duck of Wareham.  In less than two weeks of meeting Ivo proposes to Cora and she accepts.  The book goes through their first year or so of marriage and the birth of their first child.

I really enjoyed the book a lot.  The book is 468 pages long and I read it in a little more than 24 hours while I was off work last week.  I love books that are hard to put down.  I just wish there was a second book the ending had me wanting to know more about how their lives go or at least an update 20 years later.


3 comments :

  1. You should link up on Fridays with heather at blonde... Undercover blonde for book club Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to read this but couldn't get into it. I may have to pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete