Sunday, August 4, 2013

Corn and Jalapeno Jam Muffins

I have some time to try new recipes before classes start back up.  It felt great to spend some time in the kitchen today   I wanted something to go along with what I already had in the house.  I found a cornbread muffin recipe from The Fresh Market.



Corn and Jalapeno Jam Muffins

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
3 tbsp. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
3/4 c. jalapeno jelly or jam, or spicy tomato chutney


Preheat the oven to 375º.  Grease the muffin tins.  sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sat and cayenne pepper in a bowl, and set aside.  In a larger bowl beat together the buttermilk, butter and sugar.  Mix in the eggs, followed by the corn, blending well after each addition.  Add the flour mixture, and stir to combine lightly.  Spoon about half of the butter - it will be a bit stiff - into the muffin tins, filling each cup just 1/3 full.  



Drop a dollop of jelly, about 1 teaspoon, on top of the batter in each cup.  



Top with the remaining batter covering the jelly completely for each muffin.  
Bake the muffins 22-24 minutes until they are a deep golden.  Serve them warm.



These turned out amazing.  I used green pepper jelly because I had it in the pantry.  And no I don't know why I had it.  There was still the great mix of sweet and spicy.  

1 comment :