Monday, July 15, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Potatoes with Queso Blanco Dip

I had a hard time narrowing it down to just one recipe for bacon night so I made two that sounded the most appealing to me.  And I wasn't the only one who couldn't decide and brought two dishes.  Sadly I never thought to take any pictures the whole night.  It was a fun night with friends.



Bacon Wrapped Potatoes with Queso Blanco Dip


2 medium size red potatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
1/2 tsp salt
16 center cut bacon slices
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. diced red onion
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
12 oz. queso blanco pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
1 (8 oz) block pepper jack cheese, shredded
1/2 c. half and half
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro


Place a lightly greased wire rack in an aluminum foil lined 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.  
Preheat oven to 425º.  Sprinkle potato wedges with salt.  Wrap each with 1 bacon slice.  Arrange potato wedges in a single layer in prepared pan.  
Sprinkle with pepper.  
Bake at 425º for 40 to 45 minutes or until bacon is crisp and browned.  



Meanwhile, saute onion in hot oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium high heat 5 minutes or until tender.  Add garlic, and saute 1 minute.  Remove from the heat.
Combine queso blanco, next three ingredients, and onion mixture in a large microwave safe glass bowl.  Microwave at high 2 1/2 minutes; stir and microwave 2 1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring at 1 minute intervals.
Stir diced tomato and cilantro into queso blanco mixture.  Serve dip with potato wedges.




                                            



I have to admit I ran into a time crunch and left off dealing with the onion and garlic for the dip and it was still turned out amazing.  Though I admit this seems like quite a lot of dip for the amount of potatoes in the recipe we had to much with me making twice as many potatoes.  



I forgot to mention that this recipe came from Southern Living

5 comments :

  1. I am drooling! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy YUM. I've added this to my menu for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ruth, I may just have to try this. It looks and sounds devine, girl!

    ReplyDelete