Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Summons

I finally got around to checking yesterday's mail this afternoon. And I found my first ever jury summons. Last year five people in my department at work got called and we only have around thirty people in it. I get to be the first this year and I am sure our managers and director will hope I am the only one.
This will be my first time going to the courthouse for anything other than paying for my tags or getting a driver's license. I know everyone groans about getting them and trust me I did but I see it as the price that has to be paid for getting a voice in who runs this great nation. That being said I do find the idea of sitting on a jury interesting unless I get sequestered. When that thought hit me I began to worry about what would I do about Belle, getting bills paid and yard work done if that happened to me. Oh the joys of being single. With all the reading I have to do for my class I will have something to keep me busy while I sit and wait at least.
Has anyone else been on a jury?

5 comments :

  1. I have not, but I have spent a lot of time in a courtroom. I hope that you get an interesting case and being in Memphis, that is a good possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been called twice but never was dismissed both times. The last time I was bummed- I actually think I would enjoy the experience once in a lifetime.

    Good luck!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be called for jury duty when I worked. It was right across from my office, and I would have had free parking, etc...but I did not get called until I had a child and was no longer working then it was a pain in the behind. I got kicked off by the Defense because of my prior work in Communications for Juvenile Justice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been called 2x (once in CT and once in VA, those 2 states do jury duty so differently from each other) Both times the case got settled before a jury was even selected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may be one of the few people who would want to be called for jury duty :) I think its the government teacher in me! I'm pretty sure once it happens I'll complain, but so far no luck.

    My dad did get called the week of my wedding. Luckily that was a good excuse to postpone it :)

    ReplyDelete