Sunday, October 21, 2012

One Dish Blackberry French Toast

Water Tower Festival weekend was this weekend.  My friend M stayed me with me Friday night instead of driving back to West Memphis.  So I took the opportunity to try out a breakfast recipe.  I got this one from Southern Living.



One Dish Blackberry French Toast

1 c. blackberry jam
1 (12 oz) French bread loaf, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 (8 oz) pkg 1/3 less fat cream cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
4 large eggs
2 c. half and half
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
toppings: maple syrup, whipped cream

Cook jam in a small saucepan over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring once.


Place half of bread cubes in bottom of lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.  Top with cream cheese cubes, 



and drizzle with melted jam. 



 Top with remaining bread cubes.



Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients. 



 Pour over bread mixture.  



Sprinkle with brown sugar.


 Cover tightly, and chill 8 to 24 hours.  Preheat oven to 325°.  Bake, covered, 20 minutes.  Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bread is golden brown and mixture is set.  Serve with desired toppings.




M gives it a thumbs up.


I only had syrup for a topping.  I tried mine with and without it and either way was amazing.  I used sugar free blackberry jam and fat free cream cheese.  It was very filling way to start off a long day.  





Photobucket

8 comments :

  1. It was devine!!! I went back for seconds. Thanks for letting me stay with you and be a tester for breakfast.
    Thanks,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This looks amazing. Yum.

    PS- did you know you're a no-reply commenter? Just wanted to be sure you knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious! Totally craving breakfast now!

    katiesbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I have missed ya too girly:)

    This looks awesome- I may shoot for recipe swap on Friday! Link this up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I nominated your blog for The Liebster Award! It's on my blog today.

    Significance or Nothing.

    ReplyDelete