Monday, August 6, 2012

Tequila Turkey Fettuccine

I am in a rut with cooking.  For the most part I am not cooking at all.  So with the parents coming I picked Guy Fieri 's cookbook Cookin' It Livin' It Lovin' It from the library.  My father was looking for a recipe he had seen on a show and couldn't find online according to my mother.  Turns out she was wrong it wasn't his show but Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.  I am glad I picked it up because it inspired me to get back in the kitchen.


Tequila Turkey Fettuccine

2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. strips of red onion
3 tsp. minced jalapeno
5 oz cooked turkey breast, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp. minced garlic
9 oz fettuccine
1 oz white or silver tequila
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus 2 springs for garnish
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. seeded and diced Roma tomato 
freshly cracked black pepper
2 lime wedges


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
In a large skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil.  Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add the turkey and roasted red pepper and mix lightly, taking care not to break up the turkey too much.  Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Cook the fettuccine AL dente, according to the package directions.  Drain.
Pour the tequila around the edge of the pan to deglaze it.  Add the cream and let reduce for 2 to 4 minutes.  Add the lemon juice, cilantro and salt and stir to combine.  Add the fettuccine and toss, then add the Parmesan and toss again.
Nest the pasta on a serving place.  Garnish the pasta with sprigs of cilantro and a sprinkle of tomato and freshly cracked black pepper.  
Serve with lime wedges.




I love that this recipe makes only two servings.  So no I didn't eat the whole bowl but it looked pretty in my pasta bowl.  



See told ya I didn't eat it all.  ha!


Okay so you know I didn't follow the recipe word for word.  I missed the red onion part and thought I had fettuccine at home and didn't.  Not to mention since I don't like turkey I used some baked taco chicken.  I didn't want to run out to the store for just two items so I left out the onion (not a huge fan anyways) and subbed in angel hair pasta.  
I think the meal turned out great.  Yes the onion would have added some extra flavor so next time I don't need to forget it.  Of course I love the fact I only have it for one night of leftovers.







Photobucket

4 comments :

  1. YUM. I like all of the ingredients here, I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do stuff like that all the time, and I have to substitute. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay this looks so good and thanks, now I'm starving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, hellooooo, ya had me at tequila :)

    This sounds & looks great!

    ReplyDelete