Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sausage Stuffed Pasta Shells

I bought some ricotta cheese a couple weeks ago and didn't use it and this weekend couldn't remember why I bought it.  So I went in search of a recipe to use it before it expired.  I found this one on the Betty Crocker site.


Sausage Stuffed Pasta Shells

18 jumbo past shells (16 oz pkg)
1 lb. bulk Italian Sausage
1 container (15 oz) whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder 
2 c. shredded Italian cheese blend


Heat oven to 350°. cook and drain pasta as directed on package.  Rinse with cool water; drain.
Meanwhile, in a 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain.



 Stir ricotta cheese and egg into sausage.


In a medium bowl, mix tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
In a 13x9 inch (3 quart) glass baking dish, spoon 1 c. tomato sauce mixture over bottom.


Spoon about 2 tbsp. sausage mixture into each pasta shell.  Arrange shells on sauce in baking dish.


Spoon remaining sauce over stuffed shells.  
Bake uncovered 30 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese.



Bake uncovered about 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.



If you noticed I used manicotti shells.  My Kroger doesn't carry jumbo shells. I don't know what is up with that so I grabbed the manicotti shells instead.  I was worried that I would not have enough of the sausage mixture to stuff the whole package and it turns out I had extra.  Yeah I am not sure if that was because I was worried with the first few I stuffed that I didn't put enough in them or because it was the different pasta.  I couldn't waste that extra sausage mixture so I put it on top of the manicotti with the rest of the cheese for the last 10 minutes.  

It turned out really great.  And I am glad to finally have gotten over the fear of how hard stuffing pasta.  



1 comment :

  1. These look amazing. I love stuff shells, but have never used sausage in them. Definitely on my grocery list now!

    ReplyDelete