Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blackberry Chip Ice Cream

I was watching The Pioneer Woman a couple weeks ago and she was making ice cream.  It looked so yummy I had to put it on my list to make.   But I should have started making it before my afternoon nap because it is not ready to eat yet.


Blackberry Chip Ice Cream

1 pints fresh blackberries
1 1/4 c. sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 cups half and half
5 egg yolks 
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
4 oz. semisweet chocolate


 Combine blackberries, 1/4 c. of the sugar and the lemon juice in a saucepan.  


Cook over low heat until the blackberries are broken down and syrupy about 20 minutes.

Pour the mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh strainer.  Using a whisk or spoon, force out as much of the deep purple liquid as you can, and then set it aside to cool.  Discard the blackberry pulp and seeds.

Heat the half and half and remaining 1 c. sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.


Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks until pale and thick.  Temper the eggs by splashing a small amount of the warm cream into the yolks,  whisking constantly.  


Pour the tempered yolks into the saucepan,  stirring gently.  


Cook over medium-low heat until thick, stirring constantly about 5 minutes.

Pour the heavy cream into the bowl with the berries,


and then pour the custard and stir to combine.  


If you have time, refrigerate this mixture until cool.

Freeze the mixture according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

When it is frozen, chop the chocolate into chunks and stir into the ice cream.
Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and allow it to harden for several hours or overnight.



So I realized that I forgot the half and half while I was cooking.  So I just used the heavy cream with the sugar and egg mixture and the last half cup with the blackberry syrup.  And tasting it while putting it into the freezer container it tasted yummy.  I also went ahead and added the chocolate chunks in the last 5 minutes it was in the ice cream maker.  

I can't wait to try this tomorrow night.  










2 comments :

  1. Yum!! I am all about some homemade icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero, Ruth. I saw that ice cream on Ree's show and almost drooled. I can't believe you made that deliciousness from scratch. It looks AMAZING!! You must report back on how incredible it tastes por favor :)

    ReplyDelete