Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tortilla- Crusted Pork

I am working on cleaning out my freezer and pantry a bit.  They have both gotten full after hitting up several deals since December.  I had some pork tenderloin in the freezer for almost two months so I pulled that out and then searched for a new recipe to try.  I pulled some Spanish rice out of the pantry to go along with it.  So I only needed to buy two bags of tortilla chips and the stuff for the Pico de Gallo at the store this week.  This recipe has been sitting in my binder from Southern Living since May 2008.


Tortilla-Crusted Pork

2 lb. pork tenderloin
1/3 c. finely crushed blue-corn tortilla chips
1/2 c. finely crushed tortilla chips
1 tbsp. coarsely ground pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
Pico de Gallo
Tomatillo Salsa


Remove silver skin from tenderloin, leaving a thin layer of fat covering tenderloin.  Cut tenderloin into 1 inch thick medallions.


Combine blue-corn tortilla chips 



and next 5 ingredients in a bowl.  


Brush pork te\medallions with 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, and dredge in tortilla chip mixture, pressing mixture onto medallions on all sides to thoroughly coat.


Cook pork medallions in remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 6 minutes on each side or until done.





Serve with salsas.  Garnish if desired.


Pico de Gallo
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 medium size ripe avocado, diced
1/4 c. diced white onion
1 Serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste

Toss together first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Cover and chill 1 hour.  Season with salt to taste.

Tomatillo Salsa
2 c. diced tomatillo
1/2 c. diced onion
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper. seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. pepper
salt to taste

Stir together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Cover and chill 1 hour.  Season with salt to taste.




I took the shortcut today and bought the already made Pico de Gallo at Kroger.  For one it ended up being cheaper than buying the ingredients for the one in the recipe.   The On the Border bag of chips were on special this week.  They didn't have any plain tortilla chips left so the ones I got were lightly seasoned.  The dish turned out great.  The real test will be tomorrow when I warm it up for lunch.  






Photobucket

2 comments :

  1. Oh. My. Yum! I love the tortilla chip crust and I could eat my weight in pico. This is bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete