Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Rose Parade



It just doesn't seem like a New Year without snuggling down with a cup of hot chocolate to watch the Rose Parade.  So it was a little sad to not be able to do that on 1/1 but the Tournament of Roses Association sticks to the old rule created by Valley Hunt Club that of the First falls on a Sunday the parade will be on 1/2.  The Valley Hunt Club started the parade in 1890 by decorating their carriages on their way to games.   By 1895 the  parade had grown to much and the Tournament of Roses association was created to handle it.  The parade has come along way from decorating the carriages with fresh flowers to the moving floats covered in plant materials and flowers we see during the parades these days.



I loved the Elizabeth Taylor float this year.  It is amazing how they can create a photo with plant materials.


This one has more photos of transplant donors and recipients.



The flying pigs cracked me up.  



The Inchworm was cute with the clown face.



The Roy Rogers float made me smile.  My great uncle was obsessed with Roy and told my grandparents to name my uncle Roy Rogers but even though they didn't he always called him Roy.  Uncle Jack was special and I hate he died before I could remember him.



I loved the hot rod.



Being a former girl scout I loved their 100th Anniversary float.  But I couldn't find a picture of the float on Google.  And yes there is a photo of  Juliette Gordon Low on the back.


Did anyone else watch the parade?  What were your favorite floats?





All images were found on Google.






4 comments :

  1. I didn't watch this year, though it is one of my favorites. I would love to see those floats up close and personal to see just how they are done!

    Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts for my little guy! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love to watch the parades! I totally forgot this year. I really need to make is a tradition with the boys. We didn't watch Macy's either!! :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, you need to come out here after christmas next year! That way we can take you to the parade in person. Wouldn't that be so much fun? Have a great weekend, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the rose parade! It's totally going to be our year ruth!

    ReplyDelete