Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce

In keeping up with the get healthy goal for 2012 I was looking for some new recipes to try.  Along came the January/February issue of Cooking Light.  I haven't finished the issue but when I saw this one Saturday I knew it was going to be my dinner this week.


Chicken with Peperoni-Marinara Sauce

1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
16 slices pepperoni, coarsely sliced
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 c. lower sodium marinara sauce
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 c. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

Makes 4 servings

1. Preheat broiler to high
2. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently.
  
Add oregano; cook 30 seconds.  Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. 

 Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in basil.

3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil; swirl to coat.  Sprinkle chicken with pepper.  Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes.  

Spoon sauce over chicken;


 sprinkle evenly with cheese. 

 Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.  



It turned out really awesome.  I had to make some garlic bread to go with it.  If Kroger had not had it on special this week for $1 I wouldn't have thought about it.



I used the Prego  Heart Smart sauce because it was the one with the lowest sodium that Kroger carries in my store.  Cooking Light recommends McCutcheon's.  I used my cast iron skillet because I couldn't remember if my other skillets could go in the oven, I have had them 10 years and never needed to know that before.  Next time I will wait to cut the broiler on until I start the chicken.  The cheese got to browned in a minute starting it at the beginning as stated in the directions.  This is a quick recipe so you can do it on a work night too.  I was talking about it this week at work and a couple people said it would be good over pasta and I am sure it would be but eating it without was very filling too.

Without the garlic bread a serving is 
380 calories
14.7 g fat
48.5 g protien
28.7 carbs
533 mg sodium
122 mg cholestrol










Photobucket

10 comments :

  1. This looks good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mercy, this looks delish...esp. the 2nd to last pic...how that cheese is crisp..lawdy mercy, yum:)

    Thanks for linking up today. I hope you have a great weekend-
    Daph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pepperoni...definitely going to try it and my husband will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous! I bet the Canadian would love it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That looks yummy. I can't wait to try that out. Sure to be a house hold favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks really good. I love pepperoni. This would be good to have in place of pizza one night. And probably better for me. Coming over from FFP and Hines-Sight Blog link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth,

    Thank you for linking up today. I bet this is outstanding, and my son would love it. We loved your unstuffed peppers. I made some changes to fit us, and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dish, I am in love! cant wait to try it!

    I follow you :)

    http://www.navlandstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...YUM! I know what I'm adding to my shopping list this weekend!

    ReplyDelete