Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pimento Cheese Soup

I picked up an issue of Delta magazine recently.  They are coming out with a new cookbook and added a few recipes in the September/October issue.  Two recipes really stuck out to me.  I had a hard time deciding which to make first.  So I flipped a coin and Pimento Cheese Soup won the toss.

Pimento Cheese Soup

6 tbsp. butter
1 medium onions, chopped
1 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp. flour
3 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 (7 oz) jar diced pimentos, drained
1 tsp. Tabasco 
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper


In a dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat and saute onions and celery until tender.


Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.  Blend in the flour, then gradually add the chicken broth, 1 cup at a time.  Gradually add the milk and cream and dry mustard.  Cook for several minutes, stirring until thickened.



Remove from heat and add white beans.  Puree soup mixture with a hand blender until smooth.


Return pot to medium low heat.  Slowly add grated cheese and diced pimentos and stir gently until cheese is completely melted.  


Season with Tabasco, garlic powder, salt and pepper.



The soup turned out great.  I think it would be great by adding diced potatoes for a loaded potato soup. I need to go get some more freezer bags so I can freeze some of the soup for later.  Still trying to figure out what could go with it other than a salad.  Tomorrow night I am going to cook some chicken to through in it.  










3 comments :

  1. I LOVE soups....adding this one to my cookbook! I'll actually cook this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I'm a huge pimento cheese nut. This looks divine! I love your idea about adding chicken. I wonder what a little crumbled bacon and/or some diced tomatoes would add to the flavor?

    Bookmarking this one & adding it to the menu. Thanks so much for sharing Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds YUMMO - I love Pimento Cheese!! :) A friend made me a bowl full for recovery.

    ReplyDelete