Sunday, October 16, 2011

Unstuffed Green Peppers

I love a good deal and last week I noticed a recipe on the back of the chopped bell pepper bag I picked up at Kroger.  They had the frozen veggies on sale for 10 for $10 at a perfect time to stock up on chopped onions and peppers to use in soups this winter.  Yep I am all about ways to find ways to cut time in the kitchen.  I have been wanting to try  my hand at stuffed peppers but am worried I would destroy the peppers when cutting out the seeds so this is perfect way to give the idea a go.


Unstuffed Bell Peppers

1 pound ground beef
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 (12 oz) pkg chopped green peppers
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced peeled tomatoes
1/2 c. uncooked rice
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce


Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large sauce pan, saute ground beef and onions, green peppers and garlic for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned.

Drain off excess fat and season with salt and pepper.  
Stir in tomatoes, rice, water, Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.


Remove from heat and stir in 1 c. cheese.

Pour mixture into a 2 quart baking dish and top with tomato sauce and 1/4 c. cheese.


Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.


It might need more cheese on the top next time.




It turned out wonderful.  This is going to be one of my new go to recipes.  It was quick and easy to make.  
I used the diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and the Mexican shredded cheese.  I have already packed some for lunch tomorrow.  





Photobucket

6 comments :

  1. Oh yum!!! I don't eat bell peppers but you make them look good:)

    Happy Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks FABULOUS and so much easier than the stuffing pepper process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog this week. I'm pinning this recipe. It looks great. The thing about stuffed peppers is the work getting them stuffed, and you end up cutting it all up anyway.

    Great idea for this. I'm pinning. Thanks, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like this! I alsways made stuffed peps for Fiance with half ground beef and half spicy sausage and used a hamburger helper cheese packet as seasoning! This looks way healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that pic of the peppers right out of the oven topped with gooey, melted cheese sold me.

    And yes, pre-shopped peppers 10 for $10? That was a great deal!

    ReplyDelete