Sunday, October 16, 2011

Queen of Babble

I finished Meg Cabot's Queen of Babble series this weekend.  I am a little sad to have finished reading the adventures of Lizzie, Shari, Chaz and Luke.   I would not be sad to learn of a new book in the series at some point in the future.  



The first in the series has Lizzie and Shari graduating from college.  Shari is trying to talk Lizzie into spending the summer with her and Chaz in France.  They are headed to Chaz's best friends chateau to help with wedding scheduled for the summer.  Lizzie is determined to make a go with her new boyfriend and spend a couple weeks in England with him.  When that blows up in Lizzie's face she takes off by herself to find Shari and Chaz in France.  On the train ride she spills the whole story out to a stranger that she sits next to figuring never to see the hot guy again, so she thought.  The hot stranger turns out to be Chaz's best friend Luke.  Before the summer is out Lizzie will have put her foot in her mouth more than once, saved Luke's cousins  wedding dress and run off Luke's girlfriend.  
Turns out Lizzie missed the requirement of a paper for her major.  I loved the inserts of the history of fashion before each chapter.



After the summer is over Lizzie and Shari move to New York City to start their careers.  Their plan is to get a place together once they have jobs.  In the meantime they are living with Chaz and Luke.  Lizzie finds it hard to get a job in her chosen field of wedding gown restoration and Luke suggests they continue to live together in his mother's Fifth Avenue apartment.  Shari isn't to happy about it because then it means she has to live with Chaz and she isn't quite ready for that.  Lizzie takes a tip from a neighbor in the building and goes to see about a job at Monsieur Henri's restoration shop by agreeing to work for free for a time.  To make money she ends up getting a job as a receptionist at Chaz's father's law firm.  She gets a job to make her money and a start in her dream job.  By the end she is fired from the law firm and demands a paying position and the apartment above the shop from the Henri's.
I love the tips on what style of wedding dress before each chapter.




Did I fail to mention at the end of the previous book Lizzie gets engaged to Luke?  But Lizzie is so busy running Monsieur Henri's shop after his heart attack she doesn't have time to plan her own.  After restoring the wedding dress for Jill who had the New Year's wedding of the Manhattan society the place is on fire with orders.  She is also having doubts about her relationship with Luke.  Not to mention having feelings for Chaz who happens to be her best friends ex and fiance's best friend. In the end Lizzie figures out to stand on her own two feet and ends up with the man she truly loves.
At the beginning of each chapter there are tips to avoid disaster on your wedding day.  In one chapter it was songs to get people on the dance floor.  One of them listed was Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners.  This one really made me smile because in college we had to play that at every ZTA party.

I loved the series so much.  What fun quick reads.  I love a book that will make me laugh out loud and all three of these had moments that I did.  you won't regret picking these three books up.



all images from Google









4 comments :

  1. I've heard about this Meg Cabot series, but have yet to read any of her books. They sound like fun reads though! I need to get these on my kindle asap. Great reviews Ruth, thanks for the recommendation! Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ashamed to admit that I've been working on the same book for the past 2 months. I haven't found any time to sit down and finish my book. It's been a busy season down here. Has that ever happened to you? However, when things calm down a little I would like to start reading some of the books you recommended. They all sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shes one of my favs! I love all her books
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will put it on my to read list! Do you read the Emily Griffin books at all? Seem similiar, no?

    ReplyDelete