Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you when the world stopped spinning?

Ten years ago today the world stopped.  It is one of those days we will all remember where we were and who we were with when we heard the news.  My father is a workman's comp auditor for insurance companies I was living at home looking for jobs after graduating.  We were out doing audits around Hattisburg, MS when I heard the radio DJ announce a plane just hit one of the twin towers.  Our first thought is how crazy is that and someone really screwed up somewhere.  Then I heard a second tower was hit and he told me I was hearing wrong they had to be talking about the same one and I just heard it repeated.  But then the DJ went through the time frame and both planes hitting.  Daddy got out at an audit and said keep listening and I will be back in a few.  He got back in the car stating this is really happening and not good (the place he went in had a TV).  We started heading back (he always goes to the furthest out and works back) and heard the plane hit the pentagon he looked at me and said call your mother and tell her to get home and I don't care what the school says this is turning into something bad.  We stopped for lunch at Applebee's after the next audit and just sat stunned watching the TV in the bar I am not sure either of us ate much of our lunches.  He was also calling to cancel the rest of his day for us to get home too.  I still can't believe that we were attacked in such a way and the number of lives we lost that day.  I stayed up for almost 2 days straight just watching the news coverage.  The news kept talking about a 4th plane not answering calls somewhere over the east coast and all I could think was New York and D.C. were hit the next place would be Atlanta and started praying for my friends and family there.  But thanks to some very brave men & women they did their best to keep another target from being hit and went down with the plane in a field in Pennsylvania.
I get chills to this day every time I see pictures of that day and the following days.  And when I hear Alan Jackson's song Where Were You (when the world stopped turning)?









..








A big Thank You for the heros of that day.  And my hear will always be with the families and friends who lost someone on that terrible day.







all pictures found on Google

1 comment :

  1. Wonderful tribute Ruth honey. I did one today too that you might want to check out. Hope you have a fabulous Sunday.

    Don't forget to enter my giveaway where you can win a $50 gift card to Victoria's Secret!

    http://www.blondeepisodes.com/2011/09/great-news-its-back-to-school-giveaway.html

    Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete