Thursday, August 11, 2011

Brown Town

I can't believe 15 years ago I was moving into my dorm.  I lived in Brown Hall affectionately known to the residents as Brown Town.

*


I lived on the first floor in the very first room on the left.  Room #116.  And for all those who also read Beth over at The Southern Blossoms lived across the hall and down a bit in Room #113 (I think that is the right number).  I can't believe it has been so long since we settled in and started our college lives together.


*


The dorm was built in the 1950s (if I remember right as I couldn't find the year online).  This is a show of what one wall in our rooms looked like.  Really neat because ours never looked like that.  Or at least mine and Jules never did.  Ours looked more like this



Yep, we weren't the neatest.  And had some huge books as we were both Pre-Pharmacy.  


*


This was how our room was arranged.  We weren't very creative but it worked well for us.  
In the last year or two I have realized I have no pictures of Jules and I together and that makes me so sad.  Not to mention it has been forever since we saw each other.  


Our Freshman year was the last one to have rush before school started.  And yes it will always be rush to me because it so describes what the week is really like over the term recruitment.  
A couple years ago the administration made Brown Town a freshman guys dorm and flipped one guys dorm in the area to a girls.  It is so weird knowing there are guys living in my room now as we had to sign them in for visits only during certain hours.  Also that one or more of my nephews could live in my old room instead of that beautiful niece of mine.  



Beth and I on our pref party night.   Turns out the next day that we would not only be friends but sisters too.  
Oh to be that young again.  It was a wonderful year and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Even if the night we moved in I had to hear Beth yell down the hall as I was falling asleep about writing "I love ******" on every one's memo boards.  I thought I would hate her at that moment who knew after meeting face to face she would become one of my first college friends and still be my bestie.  


*from Ole Miss website










7 comments :

  1. Love it! I was never brave enough to go away to college. Sometimes I regret that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dorm looked a lot like my dorm at MTSU.

    I love the picture of you and Elizabeth!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great tribute! i miss my freshman dorm, too. such fun memories there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I miss college! Y'all look so great, love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my little sister is moving into UNC-Wilmington next week, the same college I started out at and watching her pack and prepare is bringing back tons of college memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness gracious...Ruth, all I can say is I'm glad my joie de vivre didn't completely scare you away! Having you as both a neighbor and my best friend was a gift, and it's one that has continued to give and give. I am so blessed to have you in my life and am so glad my children can call you their Aunt. You are someone they can look up to and someone I look to as well. I love you Brown Townie!

    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, what a awesome story about you and your bestie. You both look so cute in that picture. Isn't it crazy how fast time has flown by?

    ReplyDelete