Friday, July 8, 2011

Heather Wells Mysteries

I had heard good things about a book called Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot.  I added it to my to-read list on Goodreads.  I finally got around to picking it up from the library about two weeks ago.  And over the long weekend I have worked on the other two novels in the series.


In Size 12 is Not Fat we are introduced to Heather Wells a former pop Queen.   Heather has recently broken up with her fiance, Jordon Cartwright, a boy band member.  Jordon's brother Cooper comes to her rescue and allows her to move into the third floor apartment of his brownstone.  Heather has just gotten her first real job as the assistant director of a residence hall at New York College because her mother ran off with her money and her manager.  Heather has also been dropped from her record label, Cartwright Records, for wanting to sing her own songs and putting on a few pounds.  Not long after the school year starts girls start turning up dead.  It is first thought that they were suicides or accidents but Heather thinks differently and starts to investigate on her own.  After all it isn't long after moving in that Heather decides she has fallen in love with Cooper and after she graduates college they will be married and run his private investigation business together.  



The second in the series finds Heather getting to know her new boss Tom.  And her residence hall earning the nickname Death Dorm after the previous 3 murders and two attempted murders.  It doesn't take long before another body is found in the dorm.  This time it is a poplar cheerleader whose head is found in a pot on the stove of the dorm cafeteria kitchen.  Heather makes a promise to Cooper to not to get involved and investigate this time. That promise doesn't last long and she gets one of the residents Gavin involved.  In the end Heather has another near death experience and helps (unknowingly) break up a drug dealing ring on campus at the same time.  Heather's father also reappears after being paroled and Cooper allows him to move in. When Cooper takes her home from the hospital he tells Heather he really likes her but refuses to be the rebound guy.  In the last chapter Heather meets her remedial math teacher Tad.  


The third in the series starts off with Heather having a third boss within a year.  Dating her math grad teacher Tad, who is like a Greek God.  Only for her to find him murdered in the first chapter.  Once Cooper finds out he comes rushing to the residence hall, they only live a couple blocks away, to make her promise not to get involved this time.  And you guessed it that promise does not last long.  Heather's dad catches back up with one of his old business partners and has an idea they toss at Heather about staring and writing songs for a kids show like the Wiggles, which Heather turns down in the end.  I really didn't see the killer of this one.  

All of these books are very quick reads.  I read two of them over the holiday weekend.  It should be interesting to see what happens to Heather in the future and how many more deaths will happen in the residence hall she works in.  As of now it is listed on Meg Cabot's website that there is a contract for novels 4 and 5 but no release date.  




7 comments :

  1. Sounds interesting, I may have to pick those up from the library after I finish the stack of books I already have checked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Meg Cabot! Her books crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite series by Meg Cabot.... I'm tweeting her all the time wanting to know when the next one will come out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have piqued my interest. I am going to have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, I love you for the constant insrpiation you bring to the table. I cannot wait to be stateside and able to shop in bookstores again! There's so much I want to read~mostly in thanks to you.

    Love you, Moi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so going to pick those up tomorrow. Sounds like something I need to read. I read that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14 and sometimes a 16 dress. And Christina Hendricks (Joan Holloway from Mad Men) is a size 14. The average size for an American woman is size 12. You wouldn't think by glancing through the fashion mags. We should just rock our curves no matter what.

    How is your summer going?

    Gigi
    The Love Affair

    I'm still having a difficult time leaving a comment on your blog under my blog name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review!! I'll definitely have to find these books. Hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete