Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Game Day Breakfast to Go

I got this recipe from The Deen Brothers Get Fired Up cookbook.   I decided to give this a try while the parents were here.  Daddy asked for the recipe before he was done eating his.  I didn't get any pictures because I wasn't sure how I was going to explain that since they do not know about the blog.   The brothers talk about this being a handy breakfast to grab and eat on the way to a game.

Game Day Breakfast to Go

One (12 oz) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuits)
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/3 pound sliced deli ham, diced
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese


Preheat the oven to 350°.  Generously grease a 12  cup muffin pan.  Using a sharp knife, slice each round of biscuit dough in half horizontally (making 2 rounds) and place 1 round in each of 10 muffin cups.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the ham evenly over the biscuit round sin the muffin cups.  top with the 1/2 c. cheddar cheese and cover each muffin cup with a remaining biscuit round. Sprinkle the remaining cheese eon the biscuit tops.  Fill the 2 empty muffin cups halfway with water to prevent scorching.  
Bake until the biscuits are golden and firm and the egg is cooked through about 20 minutes.  Let cool slightly.  Use an offset spatula to loosen the edges of the biscuits and pop the biscuits out of the pan.  Serve immediately or let cool completely and wrap in aluminum foil for the on-the-go snacking.

I forgot to sprinkle the tops with cheese but they were still wonderful.  I would place the muffin pan on top of a cookie sheet as a couple of them overflowed while cooking.  And now I need to clean the oven, one of the things I hate to do.  

4 comments :

  1. This looks awesome! Will try to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I wish I could eat gluten. I do make something similar with eggs, ham, and whatever veggies and cheese are living in my fridge though. Not as fun as the yummy biscuits but still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna have to try this! sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound delicious!! Those Deen boys sure are good at coming up with tasty treats! :)

    ReplyDelete