Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Boy Next Door


No not next door to me.  Wouldn't that be nice?  I picked up another Meg Cabot novel from the library last week.



The book takes place in New York City.  Mel is a gossip reporter for The New York Journal who finds her elderly neighbor Mrs. Friedlander injured one morning on her way to work.  The barking of her great dane caught Mel's attention.  The elderly lady also has 2 cats that Mel starts taking care of all the animals while the cops work to find her only relative a famous photographer Max.   It takes a couple weeks much to the frustration of her best friend Nadine's frustration.  But when she finally finds the contact information for Max he doesn't feel the need to come because he has a planned trip to The Keys with model Vivica.    So Max emails his college buddy John Trent to call in a favor owed to him.  Max manages to talk John into pretending to be him so that if his aunt wakes up from the coma she will think he does care, Max doesn't want to risk losing the fortune he is to get from his will.  John reluctantly agrees to this scheme not thinking he could get into any trouble.  Unfortunately he has to meet Mel to get the keys and learn where everything is in the apartment.  They end up talking and it doesn't take long to start going out.  Against really good advise from his family he doesn't bother to tell Mel the truth.  But eventually it does come out because Vivica spills the beans after getting mad at Max.  There does turn out to be several happy endings.
The one downside which took me a bit to get used to.  Is the book is formatted as emails back and forth from people.  It took a bit to get used to.  And as it didn't have chapters either it was a bit hard to find a good stopping place each night.
The email format is easy to get past and the story is great.  You won't regret picking it up.


7 comments :

  1. I love your new background! I've been looking for a light, fun read and this might be it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book.

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that book!!! Boy meets Girl has the same format and I love that one, too! You know I love Meg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh sounds great! Thanks for reading it and letting us know. I am always looking for a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your background, the colors are just right! Thanks for the book suggestion I will have to give it a try sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book... I still think that Every Boy's Got One is my favorite though but it's a toss-up!

    ReplyDelete