Monday, June 20, 2011

Cookbook Review

I hit the library up again for a cookbook.  As summer starts this week I decided to pick up one from the Grill King, Bobby Flay.  I picked up Grilling for Life.  This cookbook is filled with healthier grilling ideas.  Who doesn't want something healthy and good to eat.


Bobby gives tips on the tools that you will need.  Some of the tools he says are important is a heavy-duty grill brush, brushes, tongs, heavy-duty spatula, meat thermometer, squeeze bottles.  I don't have squeeze bottles but I have a set with the rest and they are great to have.  I am glad I bought a set so that when I have tried a new recipe I don't have to go running out for yet another tool and find somewhere to store it.  My set came in a case.
The second section of tips is the temperature that items should be cooked at.  Thankfully I bought one of those meat thermometers that is digital and beep when it is at the temp it is set at.  He also recommends taking the meat off the grill 5 to 10 degrees below the correct temperature and cover with aluminum foil and it will increase in temperature while the juices redistribute.
There are also sections on herbs and spices, spices and different ways to add flavor to items grilled.  Bobby also describes how to grill peppers, onions, citrus, and nuts on the grill.  
There are five sections of recipes, veggies, fish and shellfish, poultry, pork, beef, and lamb, and drinks and desserts.  I found several recipes to give a try.  And bought several items for one when I went to the grocery store for the week (splitting up the costs of all I needed).  
The thing I liked lease about this cookbook was the lack of pictures.  There is a small section in the middle of the book with pictures of eight recipes in the book.  Scattered throughout are pictures of Bobby cooking.  I love pictures of the recipes so I have an idea of how it should look or even if it is something I will eat.  I am not going to lie I have been pulled into cooking a recipe for the picture alone.
It is not one that will be added to my wish list.  But I do like many of the recipes in the cookbook.  And enjoy watching Bobby on the Food Network.  

2 comments :

  1. I love Bobby and cookbooks. I have so many but can never give any up and keep looking for more. I just might have to hit up our library, I havent thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have this cookbook and love it, too! Once I get a little more caught up on life, I can make a trip to the library, too!

    ReplyDelete