Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream

The high temps we have had recently have me wanting to try making more frozen treats.  I pulled out my Cuisinart manual and decided it was time to try my hand at chocolate ice cream.

Basic Chocolate Ice Cream

1 c. milk
1/2 c. granulated sugar
8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate broken into 1/2 inch pieces
2 c. heavy cream, well chilled
1 tsp. pure vanilla sugar

Heat the whole milk until it is just bubbling around the edges (this may be done on the stove top or in a microwave).  In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse to process the sugar with the chocolate until the chocolate is very finely chopped.


Add the hot milk, process until well blended and smooth.



 Transfer to the medium bowl and let the chocolate mixture cool completely.  Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste.



Chill for 30 minutes or longer.  
Put into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.




I decided to to follow the directions completely.  Mainly because I was to lazy to pull the blender out.  Why would I put them in the blender to get the mixture to be smooth.  I decided to just melt the chocolate, milk and sugar together in a saucepan until the chocolate is melted.  I followed the last steps and it has turned out wonderfully.



5 comments :

  1. Oh this looks exceptional! I love ice cream much less chocolate! Great recipe and photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that looks SO good! I make a strawberry froyo that is out of this world!! And healthy to boot! I think we have the same ice cream maker, so email me if you want the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my! i am tempted to go head to the kitchen and make this right now.

    xo

    ReplyDelete