Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

The weather is heating up so ice cream is on my mind.  I got this recipe from the manual of my Cuisinart ice cream maker.  I had some peppermint chocolate hot cocoa mix left over from Williams-Sonoma that was taking up space in my pantry.  What a perfect way to use it up now that it is warm than in ice cream. 

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1 c. milk, well chilled
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. heavy cream, well chilled
1 to 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract (to taste)

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or a whisk to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1-2 minutes on low speed.  Stir in the heavy cream and peppermint to taste. Turn machine on, pour mixture into freezer bowl through the ingredient spout and let mix until thickened, about 25-30 minutes. 
Chop your favorite 4 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate bar into tiny uneven pieces.  Add the chopped chocolate during the last 5 minutes of mixing. 



It turned out really yummy.  To bad I don't have more of the cocoa mix.  I will try some chopped up dark chocolate next time.


2 comments :

  1. Ruth, if you fix this for us when we visit in August, I'll up the ante with mother's homemade hot fudge sauce!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just incase you were wondering, LOL, my favorite ice cream is Green Mint Chip! Has always been since I was a little girl when my pawpaw would take me to get it at our little ice cream parlor:)

    ReplyDelete