Sunday, May 1, 2011

Apple Dumplings

I got this recipe from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood.  It is actually listed under the breakfast category but since Belle let me sleep in this morning I made it for a dessert.  I could see this sitting on a brunch table or pulled out for a holiday breakfast. 

Apple Dumplings

2 Granny Smith apples
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
8 canned buttermilk biscuits
4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375°.  Peel, core, and lsice the aples vertically into 8 slices each.  Cover with water to keep the slices from turning brown. 
In a medium saucepan, mix the water, 3/4 c. sugar, the butter and the vanilla.  Bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium heat.
Separate each biscuit into 2 layers.  Wrap a biscuit layer around a slice of apple. stretching the biscuit slightly to overlap, and seal on the bottom.  Place the wrapped slices, sealed side down, in a 9x12.x2 inch casserole dish.
 Pour the hot sugar mixture over the apple slices. 


Mix the remaining 1/4 c. sugar with teh cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the wrapped apples.


 Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.



 
I used the jumbo buttermilk biscuits.  Not sure I will use so much sugar & cinnamon to top them the next time.  I loved how great they turned out.  Might just need to warm one up for breakfast in the morning.



3 comments :

  1. those are hugggeeee - they look yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth- what a great idea! They look so yummy and I swear I could eat them at anytime of the day! great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy! Also try Pioneer Woman's apple dumplings (crescent rolls instead of biscuits and you add sprite!

    ReplyDelete