Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Relay for Life

I have been involved with Relay for Life for around 7 years.  I served on the committee for 2 years.  One of the big reasons I have been involved is that S is a survivor.  Without events like this to raise money for research I would be without one of my besties.  I also have several other family and friends who are survivors and sadly I also lost several to this disease.
Relay for Life is a walk-a-thon that takes place overnight.  It is done in groups of teams and someone from the team is supposed to be on the track walking all night.  So far I have yet to make it from 6 pm to 6 am.  Though for 2 years that I was on the committee I made through the whole night of the event as we had to call both of those for weather.  Teams will decorate their campsites with a theme and most sell items the night of the event too.  I still have a bunch of Mardi Gras beads hanging in my closet because that is the holiday we picked one year.  There is entertainment throughout the night to help keep you up.


One of my favorite things in years past and I don't know if it is on the list this year is the Womanless Beauty Review.  Some of the guys really get into it and as we hold it at Snowden Park most go down to the ballfields to collect money.  I heard one guy got ran out of a restaurant for freaking out a few people.


The winner of the second competition.  Not the person who freaked out diners.

One of the teams usually has the bouncy houses and a climbing wall.  S & I are known to go jump in the houses late at night once the kiddos are all asleep so we don't have to worry about falling on them.


The last two years S & I have counted money during the event.  But this year will be the first one in a long time that neither of us are involved with the event other than having a team.  S has put together a team.  And I have to admit I don't know who all is on it other than the two of us, her parents, and her hubs.

This year event is being held June 3rd at Snowden Grove Park.  The event will be even more entertaining this year as the same night a couple football fields away from the park will be the Poison & Warrant concert.  I don't think we will need our own music entertainment that night.  And does that mean I can say I have been to see them?  Relay is a family friendly environment and is also alcohol & smoke free.
Our team goal is to raise $1500 and my personal goal is to raise $100.  But I would love to see us break our goals.  If you would like to help us reach those goals go to my page and make a donation.  If you can't do that at this time check out the Relay for Life page and find a local event and go check it out.


And because I can't resist showing of H.  He is chilling out at the tent last year.  

6 comments :

  1. Way to go! I worked for ACS in Birmingham before we moved. My husband is a survivor. 8 years cancer free! Thanks for all YOU do to help beat cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am an avid Relay-er. I am actually the coordinator for our school system for the fundraising and the main event. Glad you are part of the fight too!

    P.S. Have you seen the "We do it all night" Relay t-shirts this year? TOO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to give back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Ruth!

    I'm so glad you continue to give, especially as we've all been touched by cancer. Needless to say, we're all happy to celebrate Susan and all the survivors in such a way. Keep fighting the good fight!

    Love you,

    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring! I have not been able to do RFL in the last couple of years, but it is so fun - and purposeful. What a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post!!! Not only is it for a great cause but it looks like a blast. Love the costume. That guy looks sort of like my great aunt, ha! And H is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete