Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Greek Burgers with Herbed Feta Spread

I pulled out a recipe from my Better Homes & Garden Diabetic Living Recipes.  I was wanting another good burger recipe to make.  I thought about  making them in the fall and now don't know whey I didn't try them. 

Greek Burgers with Herbed Feta Spread

12 oz 90% or higher lean ground beef
1/2 c. quick cooking rolled oats
1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
1 egg white
3 tbsp. sniffed fresh mint or basil
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 small red sweet pepper, quartered
1 6 oz container plain low fat or fat free yogurt
1/3 c. crumbled feta cheese with garlic and herb
2 large whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved
1 c. fresh baby spinach leaves


In a medium bowl, combine beef, oats, onion, egg white, 2 tbsp. of the mint and garlic salt; mix well.  Form into four 3/4 inch thick patties.



Place patties on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium coals.  Grill for 12 to 14 minutes or until done, turning once.  Add pepper quarters to the grill for the last 8 to 10 minutes of grilling or until skins are charred and pepper quarters are tender turning once.


Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together yogurt and feta cheese.  set aside.



If desired, cut grilled pepper quarters into strips, peeling off any loose skin. Serve burgers with pita halves, peppers, feta mixture and spinach.  Top with remaining 1 tbsp. of mint. 
Makes 4 burgers. 



You know me I have some things I did differently or left out.  I used the basil and put all 3 tbsp. in the beef mixture.  I also didn't grill the pepper just cut it into strips to serve with my burger.  And of course I left the spinach off and made okra instead. 


They were really good and I will make these in the future. 


The burger is 348 calories, 13 grams of fat, 64 mg cholesterol and 585 mg sodium. 































Photobucket

4 comments :

  1. Yum, this looks and sounds so good! I will be giving this a try, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat that right now!!! I will be adding this to my file of "to try" recipes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening from Tokyo!

    Barbara Ruth Owens...those look scrumptious! I'm going to have to make them this week~if not on the weekend. It's such a wonderful looking variation.

    Love you,

    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh helloooooo! This looks delish!

    Thanks for linking up and back, I appreciate it.

    Hope your weekend is great!

    ReplyDelete