Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mixed Berry Ice Cream

I finally broke down yesterday and bought an ice cream maker.  I have been wanting one for a couple years but didn't really know where I would keep it so I haven't done it.  I finally decided this was going to be the year and I would figure out where it would go.  I decided on the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt Ice cream & Sorbet maker.  I went looking at prices on my way home from the salon yesterday and stopped at Kohl's first. Yep I left there with it as they had it on sale for $23.99 and I had a 15% off coupon.  I have a very hard time resisting a deal.  So last night I went through my notebooks looking for an ice cream recipe to try.   I found several I pulled out of the August 2004 Southern Living.  See I knew one day they would come in handy.  

No Cook Mixed Berry Ice Cream

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 c. whole milk
1 (16 oz) pkg. frozen mixed berries, thawed
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt

Process the thawed berries , 2 tbsp. lemon juice and 1/4 tsp. salt in blender or food processor until smooth.


 Stir berry mixture into the milk mixture.



Cover and chill 30 minutes.  Pour milk mixture into freezer container of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.


Remove container with ice cream from ice cream maker, and place in freezer 15 minutes.  Transfer to an air-tight container; freeze until firm, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.






The recipe is actually the one for strawberry ice cream but since I bought some frozen mixed berries a couple weeks ago for some Bellini's (yet to be made) so I used those.  I also used skim milk and fat free sweetened condensed milk.  It turned out great.  Now to decide what to make next.


5 comments :

  1. That sounds delicious! I've always wanted an ice cream maker before, I may just have to go get one now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same one and love it. It's been packed away all winter but you've inspired me to pull it out again! I love the new look on the blog too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I want an ice cream maker so bad! I def don't need it though! Ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy! This may be a stupid question, but can you do sorbet with the ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea. I definitely need to give this a try! Yum.

    xo

    ReplyDelete