Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chicken Mini Empanadas

This is probably more of an appetizer recipe than a dinner but that is what I made it for.  I added Spanish rice to make it a meal.  I found this recipe in the  December issue of Food Network magazine.  


Chicken Mini Empanadas

2 (11 oz) pkg. pie dough mix
1 (9.75 oz) can white chicken meat, drained or 1  1/2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
1 c. chunky salsa
1 (3 oz) can sliced ripe olives
1 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
all-purpose flour for dusting

Prepare the pie dough according to the package directions for a double crust pie.  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill.
Preheat oven to 400°.  In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken, salsa, and olives.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. 


Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.  Cool slightly.

On a flour dusted surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick.  Using a 3 inch round cutter, cut out 36 circles, re rolling the scraps as needed.  Place about 1 tbsp. chicken mixture in the center of each circle.  


Moisten the edges with water.  Fold the circles in half and pinch to seal.  Peirce the tops with a fork.


Place the empanadas on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, or until golden.  Serve hot.



The turned out really great.  I loved how flaky the pie crust turned out too.  I didn't have olive so I used a can of chopped Chile peppers.  And I went the lazy route and used pre-made pie crusts.  I think these will be great for tailgate parties in the future.  The recipe makes 36 empanadas but I only ended up with 30 from the pre-made pie crusts.  







9 comments :

  1. Ummm, this looks good. I am gonna have to make some or stop by your place when your making them to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are those?! And they don't look to difficult to make, I might just have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute and look absolutely amazing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these thanks for sharing this recipe!!!! Looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yummy! I am going to have to make them. Found you through the recipe swap! Happy weekend!

    XO,
    Hannah
    www.hannahandbryan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh.....how tiny & cute are these??
    Look & sounds delish.
    These would be great for little hands too:)
    Hope your weekend is awesome sweetie.

    ReplyDelete