Sunday, December 12, 2010

Easy Chicken Chili

It has gotten really cold here so I was wanting to make chili for dinner.  And as I never have made chicken chili I went searching for a recipe to make.  I found one at Better Homes and Garden website, Easy Chicken Chili.
I woke up to snow flurries that happened on and off until around 10:30.  I was worried that when I finally got ready to brave the cold the stores would be packed thanks to people seeing the snow flurries.  Thankfully Kroger was not packed.  

Easy Chicken Chili

1 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
2 c. diced rotisserie-cooked chicken
2 cans (15.5 oz) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 c. sour cream, if desired
Chipped fresh cilantro, if desired.

In a 4 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion and bell pepper.  Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.


Stir in soup, broth and water.  Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until smooth and well blended.
Stir in chicken, beans, chiles, oregano, and cumin,  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low.


Cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.  
Top each serving with sour cream and cilantro.


The only bad part about my Christmas dishes is the small bowls.  I am not a huge fan of sour cream.  But I did top the chili with some cilantro and cheese.  Because what is chili without cheese.


I made garlic cheese biscuits to go with it.  Tonight I also threw in some cilantro in the butter.  They were great.  

I think next time I will add more chicken to the chili because I prefer chunkier chili.  I will make this more often in the winter months.  I also used green bell pepper instead of red.  Several dishes I have made recently have used bell peppers and they can get expensive so the last time Kroger put the frozen veggies on sale for $10/10 I bought a bag.  I also used the savory rotisserie chicken from Kroger.  








2 comments :

  1. YUM!!!! love chicken chili! I need that recipe for those biscuits :p

    Hope your weekend was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I could eat chili every day of the week, I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete