Sunday, November 14, 2010

Southwestern Soup

I decided to try another soup this week.  I was planning out my menu yesterday and after being out in the cold and rain I wanted something warm.  Thankfully it was sunny today.

Southwestern Soup

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. coarsely chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 oz) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and jalapenos, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can Rotel
1 (14 oz) can beef broth
2 c. frozen yellow & white whole kernel corn
1 (1 oz) envelope taco seasoning mix
1/4 tsp. salt
 1/4 tsp. pepper

Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and onion is softened; drain.


Stir in kidney beans, next 8 ingredients, and 4 c. water.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat.

Cover, reduce heat to eat, and simmer 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Stir in cilantro just before serving.


Serve with desired toppings.

Okay I just realized while typing this that halfway through the simmer I forgot to add the corn.  No worries I hopped up and ran into the kitchen and threw those in the pot.  I also realized i am not good at reading directions lately.  I didn't drain the beans and only got one can of the red beans.  I am not upset about missing a can of beans as I don't like a whole lot of them.   I did measure out the amount of taco seasoning in the packet to know in the future.  after making the taco pizzas I so love that taco seasoning that I made for that and will use that next time.

The soup still turned out great.  And already have a container packed for lunch tomorrow.  I made some cheddar chile cornbread muffins to go with it too.


2 comments :

  1. That soup looks so good, and that recipe sounds pretty delish. I just might have to give it a try!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, that sounds and looks delish!!
    I may have to make this...you know how I love to
    cook and EAT :)

    ReplyDelete