Monday, November 1, 2010

Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup

The temps are now getting cold enough in the evenings to have me craving something warm.  And what better than a soup for that.  I went through several and this is one that stuck out the most for me.  There is a second one I will try in the next couple weeks.

Cheesy Potato Soup

1 bag (32 oz) frozen southern style diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 c. frozen chopped onion (from 12 oz bag), thawed
1 medium stalk celery, diced 
2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
1 c. water
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. milk
1 bag (8 oz) shredded American-Cheddar cheese blend (2 c)
1/4 c. real bacon pieces 
4 medium onions sliced

In a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.  
Cover; cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours


In a small bowl, mix flour into milk; stir into potato mixture.  Increase heat setting to high.  Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.


Stir in cheese until melted.


Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions.  Sprinkle with pepper if desired.



I garnished mine with bacon bits and Chipotle Cheddar tortilla strips.  

I used low sodium chicken broth.  And totally forgot to thaw the potatoes and onion.   And while writing this realized I threw the green onions in at the beginning.  So not paying close attention was I? The only way I found the green onions and celery in the grocery store was in big bunches and since I won't eat all that outside the recipe I hit the salad bar in the store.
The soup turned out really yummy.  And it was still cooking when a few trick or treaters came by.  One even commented something smelled really good he wasn't sure what it was but it sure smelled good.
The soup turned out really yummy.  But boy did it make a lot.  I don't know if I will finish it this week.  

4 comments :

  1. Yum! I would totally toss them in frozen too. I do all sorts of things they say not to do in a crockpot and have never had an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this soup looks absolutely amazing! Love your blog! I am a new follower

    xo

    ReplyDelete