Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cheesy Jalapeno Grits

I was flipping through my recipe book trying to decide what to cook this week.  I was hoping to find a good soup or chili recipe to pull out but this one stuck out.  It is getting cooler next week so hopefully I find a soup or chili recipe I want to try by then.  Looking at the bottom of this page it says I printed it out in 2004.  I think it is about time to try it.  I found it at http://www.meals.com/  and when I looked to add the link they don't have the recipe listed on the site any longer.  


Cheesy Jalapeno Grits

1 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 red bell pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 yellow bell pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 c. chicken broth
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. quick grits
1 1/2 c. shredded monetary jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper


Melt butter in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.  Remove peppers; keep warm.  Allow skillet to cool slightly.  
Add chicken broth and evaporated milk to skillet and bring to a boil; slowly stir in grits.  Cover; reduce heat to low.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until grits are thickened.  Add pepper mixture and cheese; stir until cheese melts.  Season with salt and pepper, if desired.


The grocery store didn't have any yellow bell peppers so I used the orange one.  I didn't use any salt or pepper mainly because I forgot about it.  I used low sodium chicken broth.  

I made some chicken, corn on the cob, and garlic cheese biscuits to go with the grits for dinner tonight.



The grits were really yummy!  And I figured out handling jalapeno peppers isn't as scary as I thought.  Though I totally admit I took my contacts out before I started cooking.  







Photobucket

No comments :

Post a Comment