Saturday, October 23, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness

We all know that when October rolls around you start seeing all the pink items come out for Breast Cancer Awareness.  Thanks to these items and events like the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure and the Care Walk.  Without events like this that bring awareness and money for research I wouldn't have three wonderful ladies in my life.  

The first is my great Aunt Marilyn.  I don't get to see her very often as she lives in Gainesville, FL.  I certainly wish I did get to see her more.  She is also a sister, she was a ZTA at Auburn.  She battled breast cancer about 6 years ago.  When her hair came back in it was still red.  My father told my grandmother he wanted a refund for all the years my mother has been dyeing her hair to keep it red.  


This is a picture of the two of us together at my grandmother's 80th birthday party two years ago..  

Another important lady is Beth's mom Mrs. Shirley.  She is one of my favorite people.   And again I don't get to see her as much as I would like.  Beth's parents live in New Orleans but thankfully come up for most if not all the Ole Miss home games.  When I make it down to tailgate I always stop by to see them.  When we were in college I saw them more than my parents during football season.  


I had to ask Beth to send me a picture because amazingly enough after all these years I don't have a picture of her parents.  This is very sad and I will have to work on that.  I know when I see her I will get a big hug and some good food as she is a great cook (Beth totally got that from her).  Mrs. Shirley is also a fabulous artist.  

The third lady is also a ZTA sister and I would not have met her if it wasn't for that.  We loved the days when Molly would show up to hang out with us at the house.  We always enjoyed hearing stories of how the house was decorated when she was in the chapter and the things they did.  Through the years since then I have gotten to know her more and am so glad to call her a friend.  And this year watched her celebrate her 20th anniversary since being diagnosed.   


This is a picture taken at the Think Pink Luncheon.  Molly is on the right and was honored at the luncheon.
The Greater Oxford alum group surprised her at the luncheon with a scholarship from the ZTA foundation in her honor.  Oh and I shouldn't forget she will be a grandmother next month for the first time and a second grandchild arrives in 2011.  





the picture of Molly I got of the ZTA memphis webpage.




1 comment :

  1. Was just leaving a comment on Bella Michelle's blog and I saw the Colonel. My hubby went to school in Mississippi. He has family all around Biloxi, Hattiesburg, and Jackson. What are your thoughts on the new mascot "Rebel Bear"? We like the Grove outfit but our hearts will always belong to the Colonel.

    ReplyDelete