Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bourbon Peach Cobbler

I am a fan of Food Network on Facebook and two weeks ago they posted the recipe for Bourbon Peach Cobbler from Tyler Florence and asked what would you serve with it.  Duh, what else do you serve with cobbler, vanilla ice cream.  The recipe sounded so good I knew I had to try it.  And it is a perfect time right now with all the fresh peaches in the stores.  

Bourbon Peach Cobbler 

8 peaches, peeled & sliced (6 to 8 cups)
1/4 c. bourbon
3/4 c. sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter
3/4 c. heavy cream, plus more for brushing


Preheat the oven to 375°.  Combine the peaches, bourbon, 1/4 c. sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in a large bowl and toss to coat.


Sift the flour, the remaining 1/2 c. sugar, the baking powder and salt into a bowl.  Cut in 1 1/2 sticks of the butter into small pieces; add to the flour mixture and cut it in with pastry blender or your hands until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.  Pour in the cream and mix just until the dough comes together.  Don't overwork; the dough should be slightly sticky but manageable. 

Melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.  add the peach mixture and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes.  Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart baking dish (or leave in the skillet).  Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls over the warm peaches.  (There can be gaps because the dough will puff up and spread as it bakes).  Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar and a little extra cinnamon.

Bake in the oven on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) until the cobbler is browned and the fruit is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. 



I wasn't good about remembering to take pictures last night since I didn't start until 7:30. 



It was really yummy!  I can't wait to have some more tonight when I get done with my ab workout.  The plan is to take the rest to the office tomorrow so I don't end up eating it all.


 


5 comments :

  1. We're going to have to forgo the bread pudding for this Sunday for peach cobbler instead! That looks delicious, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds & looks yummy! I made Paula Deen's peach cobbler a few weeks ago, but I'll try this one next. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds amazing! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That looks so good!! And I always take left over dessert to the office :) Such a great way to get it out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has me longing for summer and fresh peaches! Stopping by from FF&P's recipe swap. I'm Lulu and Daisy.

    ReplyDelete