Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Caribbean Chicken Kabobs



I am at it again.  I started flipping through my cookbook for something to try this week when I returned from my trip.  I so meant to make these last night.  But got caught up in watching a movie and then it was late.  And now I got home and didn't start until about the same time.  Tonight's recipe is from Betty Crocker and has been in my recipe book for 3 years.  Time to try it. 


Caribbean Chicken Kabobs

1 3/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 c. vegetable oil
3 tbsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning (dry)
1 small pineapple, rind removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces

Brush grill rack with vegetable oil.  Heatcoals or gas grill for direct heat. 
Brush chicken with 2 tbsp. of the oil.  Place chicken and jerk seasoning in reasealable plastic food storage bag.  Shake bag to coat chicken with seasoning.  Thread chicken, pineapple, bell pepper, and onion alternately on each of eight 12-inch metal skerwers, leaving 1/4 inch space between each piece.  Bruch kabobs with remaining 2 tbsp. oil.
Cover and grill kabobs over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center.



I actually had some chicken left over and I put it in the freezer to thaw for a meal later.  I also got a green bell pepper because I thought it would make them look prettier. 

I am also proud of the fact I didn't wimp out and buy pineapple in the can.  This was the first time I had cut down a pineapple.  That is the one thing I wish I had done last night when I decided to wait until tonight to cook the kabobs.  It took forever to do.



It was also the first time I have grilled chicken or a kabob.

I made some couscous and garlic cheese biscuits to go with the kabobs.  The couscous turned out a tad dry.  One day I am going to get that hang of making that from outside the box.




Warning they set my mouth on fire.  I need to come up with something to go as a side that will cool my mouth down.  And yes firey mouth or not I will make these again.  Not so sure about taking them for lunch at work.



One skewer is 210 calories and 10 grams of fat. 





3 comments :

  1. Wow! Those kabobs look so goo. I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look's delicious!!! I've got to try this SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious and fun to make. I love Caribbean food.

    ReplyDelete