Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pepper Jack Pimiento Cheese

One of my co-workers was talking about making burgers stuffed with pimento cheese this week.  And I couldn't get piminto cheese off my brain.  So this morning I got the stuff to make my favorite pimiento cheese recipe.  I got this one from Southern Living 10 years ago and make it several times a year.  It works great for sandwhiches and as a dip for a party.   The recipe is actually for grilled cheese.

Pepper Jack Pimiento Cheese

4 oz. sharp white cheddar, shredded
4 oz. montery jack cheese, shredded
1/2 (4 oz) jar rosted red bell pepper, drained and diced
1/2 (2 oz) jar diced pimientos, drained
1/4 c. sour cream


Once the cheeses are shredded stir all ingredients together. 




Of course I have found my own tweeks to this recipe.  The first couple times I made this I never used up the jar of roasted bell peppers so I don't even use them anymore.  Instead I use the whole jar of pimientos.  And buy the montery jack with the peppers in it, today I don't know what I was thinking I bought the chunk instead of pre-shredded.  I have yet to ever find white cheddar that is already shredded but I did find last year Chipotle White Cheddar cheese at Kroger (store brand).  By using the whole jar of pimientos and adding the cheeses with peppers I don't miss that extra flavor that the roasted bell peppers added. 

I serve wheat thins with the pimiento cheese when I use it as a dip.

I think this is going to be a great topper for the burgers I am going to grill tonight.   And several lunches this week.  And who knows since the temps are going to be cool this week maybe even a grilled cheese sandwhich. 


No comments :

Post a Comment