Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cooking

I love to cook.  But being single I don't get to do it often.  This year I want to finally going to start trying all the recipes I have been collecting for years.  I have two notebooks and a half full recipe box full of them.  And I won't lie almost half of them are for desserts.  I love my sweets!!!
So Sunday I decided I just had to break in the new crocpot.  I had to go searching for new recipes because I didn't have any for a crocpot.  Darn!!!  I found one on Kraftfoods.com.  I picked Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken.



1 pound bonless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch wide strips
2 tbsp taco seasoning
2 tbsp. flour
1 each green and red pepper, cut into 1 inch wide strips
1 c. frozen corn
1 1/2 c. salsa
1 c. shredded Mexican four cheese

Toss chicken with seasoning and flour in slow cooker.  stir in vegetables and salsa; cover with the lid.
Cook on low 6 to 8 hours (or on high 3 to 4 hours)
Stir just before serving; top with shredded cheese

Special Extra: serve over hot cooked rice topped with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro

I didn't have any rice on hand so I used couscous instead.  But forgot about the green onions and cilantro.  It was okay.  I found it a little bland.  I have been trying to think of ways to add some spice to it and try it at least one more time.  Maybe the hot taco seasoning.  the salsa I used is already pretty spicey and I won't change that.   Something to think on. 


2 comments :

  1. I make a similar dish in the crockpot, except without the corn.

    Place 2-3 large frozen chicken breasts in crockpot. Sprinkle chicken with 1 packet of taco seasoning (I find the Taco Bell brand has the best flavor/spice). Combine 1 can cream of chicken soup & 1 cup salsa and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add a little sour cream if desired, shred chicken, top with shredded cheese & serve over rice or in tortillas. I eat the leftovers over tortilla chips for yummy nachos.

    Also, I recommend using one of those disposable crockpot liners, it makes clean-up so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy! I will have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete